The Methodist Church situated in High Street was erected in 1826 on a site purchased from. Mr George Chapman. The church was completely remodelled at a cost of £800 in 1888. Two interesting tablets commemorate Rev John Armstrong, 60 years in the ministry and John Johnston distinguished for “ Deep and long tried love of the cause.” The Rev Armstrong, was buried in Shankill, his headstone bearing the inscription:
Erected by admiring friends, to the memory of the late Reverend John Armstrong, Wesleyan minister, born 1778, died 1st August 1875. For sixty years he discharged the duties of his sacred office with zeal and fidelity rarely if ever surpassed.
Though dead yet he speaketh. Also his second daughter Margaret Armstrong, who died 31st December 1875. Also his widow Ellen Armstrong, who departed this life 19th March 1876, aged 17 years.