Malcolms of Bengal Place
The town’s leading entrepreneurs in age of Victoria were the Malcolms. Founded at the beginning of the 19th century by James Malcolm, the company was extensively engaged in the manufacture of fine cambric produced by handloom weaving. As a man with an acute knowledge of the practical aspects of the industry, he advanced the business with new ideas incorporating straight forward functionalism and new technology with manufacturing gusto. In 1855 James Malcolm’s diversity and dynamism and success in local and commercial life was such that it caused him to invest heavily in the building of factory specifically designed to house the first power loom weaving complex in the area.
At his death in 1864 James Malcolm left effects of over £70,000, an enormous sum by any standards at this period in time. His son also named James who had already been actively engaged in the management of company succeeded him. It was an age of expansion and assumed his responsibility by increasing productivity, by a further planned development of the manufacturing operation at Factory Lane. Here the production was confined to cambric and cambric handkerchiefs, providing employment for upwards of 500 operatives. In 1886 the company further expanded by purchasing the hemstitching patents taken out by J. B. Robinson, and building erecting the first factory of this type in the in the United Kingdom in Union Street, to give employment for about 350 people. At this period the new buildings and premises including the Factory Lane operation and the Union Street factory extended over an area of 10 acres, in the heart of the town. Besides holding the principal interest in the family enterprises in Lurgan, James Malcolm was also an extensive stock holder and director of the Northern Spinning and Weaving Company Ltd, Belfast. He was also a prominent figure in Masonic circles, and Deputy Lieutenant of County Armagh.
There are plots holding the remains of the Malcolm family, in the graveyard, The earliest is enclosed with railings with two headstone.
“Sacred to the memory of George Pentland Malcolm, who died 18th June 1859, aged 21 years and five months son of Samuel Malcolm, who died 6th October 1861, aged 21 years. And of Charlotte Malcolm, who died 2nd November 1861 aged 19 years. Also James Malcolm their father, who died 5th February 1864, aged 76 years. Also Charlotte Malcolm their mother, who departed this life 1st August 1870, at Long Beach, America, aged 64 years.”
There is second tablet placed on the railings within the enclosure that reads. “This table is erected to the memory of Thomas Pentland Esq, who departed this life 19th January 1860 by his bereaved wife. And also their two infant sons.”
The second family plot is mounted by a large head stone executed in Mourne granite and is decated.
In loving memory of James Malcolm D.L. died 6th January 1916. Aged 63 years. Also his wife Eliza Malcolm, died 17th May 1923, aged 78 years. Also their daughter Charlotte Elizabeth Patterson died 24th April 1932 aged 58 years. Also their son Herbert Cecil Malcolm D.L. died 14th November 1946 Aged 61 years.
Till he come.