During late nineteenth century due to urban development brought about by the industrial development of power loom weaving the population of multiplied, and confined space such as the ancient burial ground at Shankill proved to be inadequate depository for the dead. In 1861 the Town Commissioners realised that the old graveyard at Shankill had outlived it usefulness and considered at matter of urging the necessity of another burial ground in the town. Meeting as a Burial Board they selected a four-acre site “on the new Tandragee line” that Lord Lurgan had promised them at £10 per annum. Later in the same year the Commissioners drew up regulations with a scale of charges ranging from two shillings and six pence to ten shillings. Corpses from the Union Workhouse were to be buried at two shillings and six pence so long as the depth did not exceed seven feet. Any interment over this depth, the additional cost was two shillings and six pence per foot.