The Elvin/Tomkins monument was erected in St Columbís cathedral in Derry in 1678 and consists of a three part inscription above which are the coats of arms of the two families. Flanking this are two spiral columns set on bases depicting bucrania separated by hanging garlands, decorated with interlace patterns, or guilloche.Above this is an ogee-shaped pediment within which is a winged head. To either side of the pediment are obelisks with impaled heads.
It commemorates John Elvin who had been involved in the municipal government of the city, serving as an alderman and as mayor. The inscription records that he had moved to the city in the early stages of the Plantation. He died on 29 December 1676 in his 102nd year. The monument also commemorates Alexander Tompkins who died on 18 February 1642 (1643 according to the present system of dating). The connection between the two men was that John Elvin had married the widow of Alexander Tompkins.
John Elvin's memorial