The monument inside the parish church in Benburb is dedicated to Captain James Hamilton, son to William Hamilton, Esquire, and brother to the Right Honourable the Lord Viscount Claneboy, who was killed at the Battle of Benburb on 5 June 1646. It consists of an aedicule of sandstone surmounted by an open pediment within which is an antique urn-like shield displaying the Hamilton arms. The pilasters are richly carved with military and other symbols. The Hamilton Manuscripts record a tradition that James Hamilton met his death while trying to escape at Tullyrean (now Tullylearn) lying between Benburb and Blackwatertown. His body, as well as that of Lord Blaney, was interred in Benburb church the following day by order of Owen Roe O’Neill, the victorious Irish general, although subsequent to this Lord Blaney’s body was exhumed and removed for burial in Castleblaney.
James Hamilton's memorial