The monument to Ann Munro, died 1647, in Coleraine parish church is of a very rare design. The inscription is contained on a slate tablet set within an alabaster frame and is surmounted by a semi-circular pediment upon which stands a putto, obviously damaged since it lacks a head. At either side of the pediment stand two more putti, the one to the right resting one foot upon a skull. The Munro monument is of a high standard and probably derives from an English source. The portrayal of the cherub with one foot resting on a skull has comparisons in the rest of Ireland and also in England.
Ann Munro was the daughter of General Major Robert Munro and wife of Colonel George Munro. These two men, though especially the former, played an important role in Ireland during the turbulent 1640s. Robert Munro was a veteran of warfare on the continent of Europe having served with Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, in Germany in the Thirty Years War. His army of Scots, which he brought to Ireland in 1642, was defeated by the forces of Owen Roe O’Neill at the Battle of Benburb in 1646, a battle in which his son-in-law, Col. George Munro also fought. George Munro’s troops were stationed at Coleraine for six years in the 1640s which explains why his wife should be buried here.
Ann Munro's memorial