A second large seventeenth-century monument in St Columbís cathedral is dedicated to members of the Edwards family and was erected in 1675. The Latin inscription is flanked on both sides by triple-shafted columns which taper, leading one critic to describe them as looking like the trunks of palm trees. The entablature consists of a richly carved coat of arms flanked by scrolls At the base of the monument is a large tablet containing carvings of mortality symbols. At either side of the tablet there is a winged cherub holding in its mouth what appear to be ornamental leaves. This part of the carving appears to be rather out of context with what the rest of the tablet is trying to convey, that of the inevitability of death. The other symbols consist of two skulls, one set of crossed bones, a bell, a coffin, two spades, and an open book. Hugo (or Hugh) Edwards was M.P. for Derry in 1661. This man also gained forfeited land in the baronies of Kennaght and Dungannon in the 1660s, and in 1669 was high sheriff of Tyrone. He died in 1672.
Edwards family memorial