A monument to a cleric’s wife is found within Leckpatrick parish church. This monument, to Isabella Sinclair, died 1673, consists of an inscription above which is a richly carved coat of arms. This is flanked by triple-shafted columns with composite capitals, surmounted by two obelisks. In some ways it is similar to the monuments inside the cathedral in Derry and may have been the work of the same mason. This woman’s husband was the Reverend John Sinclair who was originally of West Brimes, Scotland and probably educated at Glasgow university. He first appeared in west Ulster in 1665 when he was appointed curate of Urney parish, but soon after this was appointed rector of Leckpatrick, combining this with Camus-juxta-Mourne in 1669. In 1683 he purchased Hollyhill from Captain George McGhee where his family became established until the twentieth century. His own monument (he died in 1702) stands next to that of Isabella and was erected by his second wife, Anna, who was the daughter of James Galbraith of Rathmoran (whose gravestone can be seen at Aghalurcher.
Isabella Sinclair's memorial