The monument to Thomas Newbrugh, died 1695, is positioned in the main aisle towards the front where, from being continually walked over, it has become rather worn, particularly with regard to the decoration. Above the inscription mortality symbols have been carved consisting of a skull over crossed bones below which is a coffin. To the left of this is a bell, while whatever was to the right has been obliterated. Above this is a coat of arms topped by a curious looking head and flanked by two winged heads, the one to the right being rather damaged. When probate was taken out on his will he was described as being ‘of Castlefyn’. He was presumably the son of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Newbrugh of Lifford, who was a governor of Derry in the 1650s, and in 1656 was elected M.P. for counties Londonderry, Donegal and Tyrone.
Thomas Newbrugh's memorial