The monument to Gilbert Eccles, died 1694, within the ruined church at Fintona, consists of an aedicule with Corinthian columns, above each of which is a winged head, flanking the inscription. Above this is an open pediment and at the base of the memorial is carved a skull below which are crossed bones. The words memento mori have been inscribed above the mortality symbols. The Eccles family came from Kildonan in Ayrshire and Gilbert was probably a younger son of John Eccles of that place. He is described as ‘of Shanock’ which refers to the estate in Co. Fermanagh which he purchased from Henry Gilbert in 1656. He served as high sheriff of Fermanagh in 1665 and presumably some time before he became high sheriff of Tyrone in 1673 he acquired the ‘Manor of Fentonagh’.
Gilbert Eccles' memorial