The gravestone to Edward Wood, died 1673, at Aghaloo parish churchyard, Caledon, features an extravagant coat of arms below which are carved the mortality symbols. These consist of a skull and crossed bones to the left of which is a coffin and to the right is a rectangular depression which may be taken to represent a grave. Below the grave is an open book and to the left of this is an hourglass. There is a strong case for believing that the decoration was a later addition to the stone for it appears that in carving the coat of arms and mortality symbols part of the inscription was removed. How long after 1673 this was done is not known but if it was before 1700 this is the only recorded instance of a grave being featured on a C17 memorial.
Edward Wood's memorial